The Cystic Fibrosis (CF) Center at St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital is an integral part of the Pulmonology Division. It is accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and associated with The Columbia Presbyterian University Hospital Cystic Fibrosis Center in New York City. The CF Center is a New Jersey State Referral Site for infants identified through the newborn CF screening program.
Our experienced CF care group includes the members of the Pediatric Pulmonology Division as well as Gastroenterologists, Endocrinologists and Infectious Disease Specialists who work in collaboration with social workers, nutritionists, respiratory and physical therapists.
The goal of the Cystic Fibrosis team is to evaluate, diagnose and provide up-to-date comprehensive care emphasizing the following:
• Normal growth and development
• Prevention of complications such as Failure to Thrive, Malnutrition, Recurrent Pulmonary Infections
• Assisting the child and the family to integrate the treatment regime into their home and school life
• Overall education regarding the disease and future expected outcomes
• Maintaining medical independence and sustaining a better quality of life
In order to provide continuity of care to our patients, adults with this diagnosis are referred to a dedicated team of Adult Pulmonologists and Gastroenterologists who provide consultation upon request.
Roberto Nachajon, MD, Medical Director
Michael Blechner, MD, Co-Director
David Goldberg, MD, Infectious Disease
Katarina Harwood, MD, Endocrinology
Kim Luciano, RN, APN, Coordinator
Teresa Rivera-Penera, MD, Gastroenterology
Ketana Desai, Respiratory Therapist
Heather Russell, MS, RD, Nutritionist